Return to the About section
Chana Masala (Chick Peas), 8 people (Meenal's mom's recipe)
A - 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
B - 2 cinnamon sticks
C - 10 cloves
D - 1 tsp. cumen seeds
E - 2 white onions, chopped
F - 1 15oz Hunts tomato sauce*
G - 2 pounds tomatos, pureed**
H - 2 tsp. cumin coriander powder
I - 5-6 garlic cloves, grated
J - 1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper (more/less for more/less spicy)
K - 1/2 tsp. tumaric
L - 1 1/2 tsp. of salt
M - 1 Tbsp. MDH Chana Masala (spice blend for chick peas)
N - 3 16oz Êcans garbanzo chick peas, drained (Bush's or Joan of Arc)
O - 1/2 large lemon (for juice)
P - 2 tsp. sugar
**can substitute 2 more cans fo Hunts tomato sauce
1. Heat A, B, & C in a large pot on medium without the cover on.
2. After 5-10 minutes, add D and turn heat to medium-high, can put cover on if desired.
3. After onions have browned, add E and F.
4. Simmer/boil for about 6-7 minutes and then add H, I, J, K, L, and M.
5. Simmer for about 5 minutes and then add N. ÊMash for desired consistency.
6. Add speezed juice of O (the lemon) and add P.
7. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until desired thickness.